Searching for the perfect pair of underwear

The hunt is over! I’ve been searching for the perfect pair of underwear for months, ever since my favorite pair mysteriously disappeared (I suspect my 4-year-old son, but that’s a completely different topic) and I think I found them!

Isn’t it interesting how we find that perfect something (whether it be the perfect pair of jeans, perfect pair of underwear, perfect bra) and we compare all future jeans, panties, bras, to that “perfect” pair. Then, God forbid, when we wear our perfect pair of jeans so thin that they can no longer contain our ass, or our perfect bra becomes stretched and worn and is no longer perfect, or (as in my case) your perfect pair of underwear disappears the day after your 4-year-old tells you how much he likes them in the restroom at Chic-Fil-A, we panic.

I’d bought my missing pair of underwear at Gap Body a couple of years ago. I didn’t know they would be the perfect pair until I got them home and wore and washed them a few times. By the time I realized they were perfect, the store was sold out, so I couldn’t stock up and keep a year’s worth in the basement like a good Mormon (p.s. I’m not Mormon). They were low rise boy shorts, which I’m convinced is the perfect style for several reasons:

• they are super comfortable,
  • they never produce vpl (visible panty lines), and
  • they look damn cute on pretty much everybody.
  • Not all boyshorts are created equal, however. Common issues include: 1) too low in the rise (my butt crack must be covered), 2) not enough coverage in the cheek area (in order to avoid panty lines, the underwear must extend all the way under your butt cheek, otherwise the underwear will cut into your cheek and voila, vpl), 3) must have a seam going down your butt crack (this gives your bottom some shape, especially important if you tend to be a little flat), 4) too loose; 100% cotton panties are great, but underwear with a bit of spandex will keep their shape better and hug your body perfectly throughout the day, and 5) the crotch panel is not sewn down all the way around (if the crotch panel is just a piece of fabric tacked down at the corners, after a few washes it will bunch and twist and rub you the wrong way).

After buying hundreds of pairs of underwear (okay, maybe not hundreds but I tried underwear everywhere from Target to Saks), I finally found the perfect pair, and I have to say that I was surprised they ended up being from the Victoria’s Secret Pink line. boyshortBut they work, they fulfill all of my above requirements, they’re super cute, and they don’t break the bank, so you can stock up and your wallet won’t feel the pinch. In store stock levels and selection vary but if your local VS doesn’t have them, they’re easy enough to get online. One note..they tend to run large. (By the way, I’m in no way affiliated with Victoria’s Secret.)

Here’s to loving your underwear!

UPDATE: Victoria’s Secret has discontinued the pair of boyshorts that I deemed the “best”. However, you can find similar styles in other brands, just look for underwear with the 5 characteristics I listed above. :)tcb

Never miss a post!
    • Click here to subscribe via RSS feed
    • Click here to subscribe via email

Tags: cool things · style

• 1 beanball // Feb 25, 2008 at 2:11 pm

great post…thanks for the tips. I gather you aren’t a fan of the thong?

• 2 Junebug // Feb 25, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Awesome! I’m on a continuous quest for the perfect pair of undies myself. Periodically, I think I’ve found them…but I’ll definitely give these a try. And interesting tip on the seam in the back – I didn’t know that.

For “technical” undies, I’ve tried the ones from Patagonia and liked them. Here’s a good writeup that turned me on to them (http://www.wta.org/magazine/1216.pdf). The only problem is there not that cute…only for the backcountry girls. Keep up the quest!

• 3 amominred // Feb 25, 2008 at 6:19 pm

I’ve heard that boy shorts are the way to go. I’ve tried them and to be honest am not a fan. I really prefer the thong but it has to be the right one, like any other style! :)

• 4 amominred // Feb 25, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Oh, but BTW, that doesn’t mean I won’t try these since they come so highly recommended and are VS ( I adore VS!)

• 5 On finding your personal style // Mar 17, 2008 at 12:55 pm

[…] personal choice, however, Cool Broads should never be caught dead in a pair of granny panties. Click here for my post on searching for the perfect pair of […]

• 6 thong vs. commando // Mar 26, 2008 at 12:30 pm

[…] jeans we all love, even though they might not give us as much coverage as we’d like, and our favorite low-rise boy shorts aren’t an option, either because they aren’t low enough or you haven’t done […]

• 7 Frye Boots: Groovy, Rugged, All-American Cool // Apr 9, 2008 at 11:45 am

[…] my favorite pair of underwear, of […]

• 8 gossamer thin at Traget // Apr 21, 2008 at 6:16 pm

I hate underwear :( But do to not wanting to chafe I have gone thru every type of panties I could. After over 40+ years of research I found panties that are tagless, cotton crotch, and light as a feather. No, there’s no seam running down the bootie I have enough thank you but they fit like heaven. I found them at Target. They’re from Hanes and at less than $6 bucks for a 3-pak with many colors to choose from I stocked up and haven’t even thought of trying any other brand :)
      Now if they can only make a bra that I don’t have to adjust every wearing second!

• 9 sandy // Apr 21, 2008 at 6:19 pm

The perfect pair of underwear. Found.
      comfortable, longlasting, fun to wear.

• 10 akprincess72 // Apr 21, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Yeah, you’ll pry my Gap Body low-rise hipsters out of my cold, dead hands! And the same for my Le Mystere Dream Tisha bra as well!!! Comfort can be sexy!

• 11 Therese // Apr 21, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Ah, but boy shorts are not for everyone. Without getting too…gross, let me just say that not all labias (and clitori) are created equal. For us larger-labiad ladies, that seam in the middle of many of VS’s boy shorts, even if they’re the correct side otherwise, is torturous. Thanks, but I’ll stick to my simple, seamless low-rise bikinis.

• 12 Cassidy // Apr 21, 2008 at 7:35 pm

I totally agree! I wont buy underwear anywhere else, and the pink line is so cute. I love boyshorts… I have two kids and once you have gone through child birth twice a thong will never be the same! Plus, I think boyshorts are sexier than thongs, they leave more to the imagination. VS’ “Cheeky” cuts are really good on the no VPL too… but as the name implies you show quite a bit more cheek.

• 13 Carmina // Sep 20, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Target has underwear that I now swear by. I don’t know the brand, but you MUST try them. They come in packs of 3. It’s very soft cotton, with a little spandex. They are so “spongy” that they are super comfortable and dont create a panty line. I love them. I’ve replaced all my underwear with them.