I think these words are cool…do you?

Note to self: Work these cool words into daily conversation as much as possible.

1. Ballsy – There aren’t many words that roll off of your tongue as nicely as ballsy does. But even better than the special feeling you get when you say it, is what dictionary.com gave as an example of its usage: a ballsy gal who isn’t afraid of anyone. Perfect.

2. Pussy – We all know that Cool Broads aren’t pussies, but I rather like the word pussy in and of itself. Not as a reference to a rather sensitive part of the female anatomy (that’s still a bit unseemly), but as a great way to describe someone who’s acting like a big fat baby (for instance, when your husband refuses to eat the banana slice you dropped on the floor, even though you picked it up within 3 seconds).

3. Bloody – Though this intensifier is used commonly in Australia and Britain…you don’t hear it in the U.S. much (unless someone is mimicking a Brit or an Aussie). But I’d like to see that change, partially because I need a good, kid-friendly alternative to the F-word (though apparently “bloody” used to be quite offensive, it’s not so much anymore) but also because I think it sounds cool. (i.e., You bloody wanker!)

4. Attractive – This adjective can be used to describe so many things (i.e., an attractive offer, an attractive outfit, an attractive man) and it’s quite educated-sounding to boot (unlike, Dude, he’s so hot!). It’s also unisex so you can remark to someone what attractive children they have and cover both the girls and the boys in one fell swoop.

5. Poppycock – In my opinion, there are so many things in this world that are rubbish, nonsense, or crap…and poppycock is a good way to express your distaste for something. But on second thought, I might like poppycock because it has “cock” in it…and that’s one of my favorite words too.

6. Cattywonkers – I couldn’t find this word in the dictionary and that’s just poppycock. Everyone needs a word to describe something that’s out of control, whether it be your hair, your household, or your mind. And because cattywonkers pretty much sounds like what it is, I find that even when my life is complete cattywonkers, I never have to search for the word…cattywonkers.

7. Tangential – When I use this word I feel smart. Why? Because if I remark about something being tangential to the conversation at hand, I’m either a) paying attention and am smart enough to keep up, b) highly intelligent and can’t be bothered with comments that don’t pertain to the current topic, or c) at the very least probably scored highly on the verbal part of my SATs.

8. Misled – Okay, this word is a good one, but only if you pronounce it MY way…My-zuld. Misled. Doesn’t that just sound better?

9. Putz – Again, a good alternative to the A-word, the J-word, the B-word and the M-word. Though it’s kid friendly, it still makes you feel good when you call the jerk in the BMW who cut you off a putz, even when you really want to rip the cell-phone from his ear and shove it up his ass.

10. Super – One of the things I picked up while living in Pittsburgh (in addition to a fanatical love for the Steelers) was using this word to put a little more umphff into my descriptive words. (i.e., I saw a movie last night that was super funny and the star was super cute, but when I got home I was super tired.) “Super” is comparable to my Yankee cousin’s’ use of the word “wicked”.

Do you have any favorites?

Want more? Click here to subscribe to “that cool broad”.

Tags: observations

• 1 Bee // Aug 5, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Ha ha! I will definitely try to incorporate poppycock and bloody.

• 2 Lori // Aug 6, 2008 at 9:52 am

My mind is in a fog this morning and I can’t figure out what the J-word is!!

• 3 Charlene // Aug 6, 2008 at 11:41 am

I think the J-word is jerk, but I can’t figure out the M-word. (Unless it has the word mother in it!) Loved all these words even though I know I’m not smart enough to pull off tangential I’ll definitely be whipping out bloody and putz today!

• 4 thatcoolbroad // Aug 6, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Charlene…you are correct! The M-word does have the word “mother” in it. The J-word is jackass…I’m ok with saying jerk in front of my kids:)

• 5 Stacy // Aug 6, 2008 at 3:08 pm

My mind goes British on me sometimes, so I do say ‘bloody’ a lot.

• 6 Monkeytoemomma // Aug 6, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I already say 6 of the 10 words listed, so cool! I like to use British and Yiddish words when cursing or telling people off in front of the kids. Also, I say scheisse instead of the s-word. It works for me!

• 7 Emily // Aug 6, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I love this post! And I have never heard cattywonkers before but I will use it religiously from now on! And I don’t think I can pronounce tangential so may need to avoid it!

My time in London brought me “brilliant” (in the same way you use super), “rubbish” (usually said in a dismissive tone), “bullocks” (used as both a s-word replacement – in both “he’s talking bullocks” and “bullocks I just stubbed my toe” as well as for something super cool (coming from “the dog’s bollocks” which apparently meant really cool at some point in London).

My favourite London word is COMPLETELY inappropriate in North America but its the c-word, I love the way they throw it around like its nothing. Although it has to be pronounced K-ahnt (almost rhyming with can’t) or it sounds funny (kind of like north americans saying arse – just sounds rediculous!

• 8 thatcoolbroad // Aug 6, 2008 at 6:14 pm

I LOVE brilliant and bullocks! It surprises me about the c-word being OK over there but I’ll all for it! I guess we’re just all British wannabes….except for the bad teeth:)

• 9 rebaveatch // Aug 6, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Horrid is one of my favorites. It certainly paints a picture. I am also in complete agreement with most other words on the list. I think that a true cool broad would not be a pussy & fit these words into a conversation immediately.

• 10 Junebug // Aug 6, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Jackhole…a mash of jackass and asshole

dandy…used as a noun

• 11 How to Party with an Infant // Aug 7, 2008 at 8:59 am

I love these words, especially ballsy, pussy and poppycock. I also like ‘rubbish.’ I hate when people say, ‘crazy’ or ‘amazing’ to describe something. Maybe do a list of words you hate, too.

• 12 Suzanne // Aug 7, 2008 at 9:37 am

I think the reason you couldn’t find cattywonkers is because it’s actually cattywampus. (See alternative spelling below). It’s one of my favorite words (along with apoplectic) and I use it regularly! See dictionary.com entry below, and I LOVE your blog, girl! You are hilarious!!

cat·a·wam·pus Spelled Pronunciation[kat-uh-wom-puhs] Pronunciation Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S.
    –adjective 1. askew; awry.
    2. positioned diagonally; cater-cornered.
    –adverb 3. diagonally; obliquely: We took a shortcut and walked catawampus across the field.

Also, cattywampus.

• 13 thatcoolbroad // Aug 7, 2008 at 3:44 pm

@ Suzanne

Ha Ha! Figures I’m not even saying cattywampus right much less spell it right! For some reason I’m challenged in that area (see my pronunciation of Misled above). But I do come by it honestly, my dad once pronounced debris…durbis (sorry, Dad). And he was a lawyer at the time…arguing a case…in front of a jury! Nobody said anything, though, they probably thought the attorney was the smart one:)

Thanks for setting me straight.

@partywithaninfantgirl

That’s a great idea…I think I will do a list of words (and maybe even phrases) that I HATE.

• 14 mommypie // Aug 10, 2008 at 2:27 am

Omigosh — you have to read this post:

One of my favorite bloggers is married to a Brit who offered some fantastic swear word suggestions.

LOVE YOU! You’re going on the blogroll TONIGHT!

• 15 partyPooper // Sep 7, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Um, super-sexist of you to portray male genitals as brave and strong and female genitals as weak and wimpy.
    I know I’m being whiny, but I’m kinda serious.

• 16 thatcoolbroad // Sep 7, 2008 at 6:24 pm

@ partypooper

I can see your point…ballsy means tough but being a pussy means being a wuss. However, I’m not using pussy as a reference to female genitalia…more like pussy cat…meow.

And sorry, but when someone says you have balls…you know exactly what they mean…and I, for one, don’t believe that as a woman…I can’t have balls. Because I do:)

• 17 Kat // Sep 13, 2008 at 1:23 pm

My favorite “I am smarter than you” word is GERMANE. I’ve found that using this word about once a month on a conference call can wrap things up in about 2 minutes.

• 18 stacey k // Sep 30, 2008 at 2:19 pm

We like the word bitch-hole

• 19 tina // Oct 8, 2008 at 3:17 pm

my two favorite words right now (not swear words) are hearken and plethora. I just sound and feel smarter when I say them

• 20 Heather // Oct 15, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Ah, cattywampus. Brilliant! I’ll have to ask my gran-ma about her southern sayin’ words and meanings.

Heathers last blog post..Jumpers

• 21 Sarah // Nov 8, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Emily its not ‘talking bullocks’ its Bollocks…as in testicles. The phrase the dogs bollocks is still very much in use in London and does certainly mean good although I’m not quite sure why…lol.

I say bloody all the time as I’m british and I think its bloody good word.

Must start using Cattywonkers…never heard that one before but it sounds great.

• 22 L // Dec 9, 2008 at 11:52 pm

i like the word “solid” .. it’s pretty hilarious at times when you’re describing something and it’s not used as much as i thought! lets start the solid revolution!!

• 23 Jordan // Dec 14, 2008 at 5:46 pm

As a woman do you really want to defame your own genitals by using “pussy” “as much as possible?”

• 24 thatcoolbroad // Dec 14, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Jordan,

As I said in the post, I am using the following definition of the word “pussy”: Slang…A man regarded as weak, timid, or unmanly.

I am NOT referring to my genitals…though honestly, I’m not sure they give a flying f*ck whether or not they are being “defamed” or not. Just my opinion.

• 25 Ben @ dBusinessOpportunity // Feb 21, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Fun reading! It makes me reflect on the fact that “ballsy” is positive while “pussy” is negative — I mean, the first sort of alludes to the male anatomy, while the second does same to the female. So why is that?